The “Bocksbeutel” wine bottle
The Bocksbeutel PS
The curvaceous Bocksbeutel bottle is as unmistakeably distinctive as Franconian wine itself. As well as serving as an indicator of the geographical origin of the wine it contains, the Bocksbeutel bottle is also a hallmark of quality.
Only the finest wines from Franconia (or, in German: Franken) are bottled in the Bocksbeutel. From 2016 on, wine connoisseurs have been able to enjoy Franconian wine from a new, redesigned Bocksheutel PS, named for its designer Peter Schmidt. The new bottle shape is as elegant, dynamic and self-assured as the Franconian wine it contains.
Several theories have been put forward to explain the origins of the name “Bocksbeutel”. Perhaps the word was originally “Bugsbeutel” and described a field flask worn close to the body. The word “Bookesbeutel” at one point described prayer and hymn books with bag-like covers. And yet other sources suggest that the name alludes to the shape of the testicles of a billy goat (“Bock” in German).
The earliest traces of the modern bocksbeutel have been found in the form of a Celtic round, flattish clay bottle dating from 1400 BCE which was discovered near Aschaffenburg. A stone relief from 1576 on the exterior of the Juliusspital hospital in Würzburg depicts a bottle resembling a bocksbeutel; by this time, the production of glass bottles had begun. In 1726, the city council in Würzburg resolved to bottle Steinwein wines from the particularly excellent 1718 vintage in glass Bocksbeutel bottles with a capacity of one “Mass” or 1.22 l.