Day tours & sightseeing
Ideas and tips for your trip to the Middle Franconian Bocksbeutel Road
Have you only got a day or a weekend for your trip to the Middle Franconian Bocksbeutel Road? No problem – you will discover plenty even in just a day or two. You will find ideas and tips for your stay here. You can put your programme together yourself or book packages with the Tourist Information Centre “Middle Franconian Bocksbeutel Road”.
Carp and wine
- Afternoon: A carp lunch in Neustadt an der Aisch or Oberroßbach (Landgasthof Fiedler)
- A visit to the Aisch Valley Carp Museum (Aischgründer Karpfenmuseum)
- Onward travel to Ipsheim (by train or in your own car)
- Evening: Winemaker’s cold platter and a wine tasting in a traditional restaurant or a “Heckenwirtschaft”, a seasonally-open rustic wine tavern
Arrival/departure by train feasible.
Opening hours of Carp Museum: Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday 14:00–17:00
Carp is only eaten in months with an “R” (i.e. from September to April).
A churches tour
Many precious cultural treasures are hidden away behind church doors in a host of churches and chapels along the Middle Franconian Bocksbeutel Road. A journey of discovery encompassing churches, graveyards and more highlights of the region’s religious heritage.
- Dietersheim/Dottenheim: village church in Dottenheim with Strebel organ from around the turn of the century (Phone +49 (0)9846 785)
- Ipsheim/Kaubenheim: the hilltop church of St. Michael
- Bad Windsheim: “Seekapelle” chapel with a replica of Tilmann Riemenschneider’s celebrated “Windsheimer Altar”
- Lunch in Bad Windsheim or Ergersheim (for example at the winery Winzerhof Hofmann)
- Ergersheim: Chapel of St. Stephen: The oldest site of Christian worship in the region, built around 750 and subsequently rebuilt in or around 1400 (Phone +49 (0)9847 1802)
- Ergersheim/Ermetzhofen: Jewish cemetery
- Weigenheim/Reusch: Village church with late Gothic winged altar (Phone +49 (0)9842 7128)
- Ippesheim/Bullenheim: Fortress church of St. Leonhard in the village of Bullenheim, ruins of the Chapel of St. Cunigunde (Kunigundenkapelle ) in the vineyards
- Evening meal in a winery
The opening hours of churches can be checked using the phone numbers given.
Day trip by car, route length: 45 km.
This tour can also be undertaken as a cycling tour (on the Aisch Valley and Main-Steigerwald cycling routes) over two days , or as a hiking tour spread over several days.